Friday 4 March 2016

Gizza Job

It's 4pm on a sunny yet cold Friday March afternoon.

Outside the school kids chatter loudly as they walk by in groups past my window, eagerly making their way home to enjoy the weekend. Inside, I'm sat at my computer for what seems like an eternity, day in day out week in week out sending off endless letters, CV's and application forms in the vain hope of trying to get some form of employment. 

I've now been out of work for quite some time and had a few great interviews but no offers. I've signed myself up to various different agencies and told the power hungry crazed "agents" what my salary expectations are. I've tidied up my covering letter, my CV and my LinkedIn Profile. I've registered with various job websites, broadened my horizons and even contacted my old colleagues from times gone by. But nothing as of yet. 

Every day the morning starts with trolling the various different emails from the job sites, followed by breakfast. Then, back to the computer and in search of my next application to fill in. The other day I filled out a form to work at an establishment in London. Everything was going well until I was asked the following questions when they wanted to know more about my background.

Were my parents educated to degree standard?

What kind of establishment was I educated in?

Did my household ever receive state benefits?

Did we receive any food vouchers? 

Now - unless I'm missing something specific here, how does that tell an employer whether I as an individual have the ability to perform a specific role? Obviously I'm not going to name the place but I wonder if this is a vision of the future that prospective employers are now asking? 

Later in the day and I stop for a quick break, a quick spot of TV news and then back to the laptop. I make a few calls, hit a few more keys on the computer and my rear end gets numb from sitting in the same spot for hours on end. 

Finally I stop as the light fades and it's getting harder to read what is on the screen. Hopefully tomorrow may bring some good fortune, hopefully tomorrow I may get my dream job or hopefully tomorrow I may just actually get some general work no matter what it is. Soon my wife will be home and so I play the dutiful husband by cooking the evening meal for when she comes in. We sit, we chat about our day and we watch a bit of TV before heading off to bed before starting another round in the morning of dealing with this wretched thing called unemployment. It stinks!

And in case you were wondering...... this is the kind of thing I help to create.


My LinkedIn Profile can be found here
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/david-walker-024090b9


Wingwalker.



1 comment: